Year-End Review of Writing Goals
As 2016 comes to a close, it’s time to review what you’ve accomplished as a writer and what goals you’ll carry forward to the following year. Aside from my personal goals of eating healthier, exercising more, and spending time with family, I set career goals. These are further divided into creative and business objectives. So let’s see how I’ve done.
· Finish Hair Brained, #14 in the Bad Hair Day Mysteries – IN PROGRESS.
· Publish Permed to Death revised Author’s Edition (Bad Hair Day #1) – DONE.
· Commence audiobook process via ACX, starting with Permed to Death – DONE.
· Revise backlist mystery titles Highlights to Heaven, Died Blonde and Dead Roots – INCOMPLETE. I’ve finished Highlights to Heaven, and it’s set for release in January. The others will carry over into the new year.
· Enter Peril by Ponytail in writing contests – DONE. This title won third place in the Arizona Literary Awards.
· Consider bundling books 1-3 in the Bad Hair Day series as a box set for the holidays – NOT DONE. This goal has been set aside until all nine of my original titles from Kensington are available in revised Author’s Editions.
· Hold launch parties for each reissued backlist title and for the audiobooks – DONE.
· Plan promo campaign for Facials Can Be Fatal to be released Feb. 22, 2017 – IN PROGRESS. I’ve scheduled my blog tour, sent ARCs to reviewers, done the book trailer, and held a Goodreads giveaway. There’s more to do.
· Engage with readers via newsletter, blogs and social media sites – ONGOING.
· Learn how to put my lectures on Power Point – DONE. I am proud of this one. I try to learn something new each year, and this was it.
I edited and published Florida Escape by Harry I. Heller. This is my father’s account of his 1935 journey to Florida and the adventures he experienced during the state’s simpler days. Excerpts from Florida Escape are used in Facials Can Be Fatal, so now the true historic tale is available to readers in ebook format.
I wrote Haunted Hair Nights, a Bad Hair Day mystery novella. This was published first in the Happy Homicides 4: Fall into Crime anthology and later as a standalone edition in print and digital formats.
So even though 2016 didn’t see any releases from Five Star, I published the following:
March 4, 2016: Permed to Death Author’s Edition
June 7, 2016: Florida Escape by Harry I. Heller
June 27, 2016: Permed to Death Audiobook
Aug. 29, 2016: Happy Homicides 4: Fall into Crime
Oct. 13, 2016: Haunted Hair Nights
Nov. 7, 2016: Hair Raiser Audiobook
I’d say that’s pretty good, wouldn’t you? CLICK TO TWEET
Did you accomplish all you’d set out to do this year?